Monday, May 11, 2009

What are we staring at?


In NYC you can pretty much get away with anything, and it seems that over the weekend I witnessed a little bit of everything. People doing things, wearing “outfits”.... singing and dancing around... its acceptable. I guess? Well I don't know if acceptable is the word, but its permissible. But are we staring at these people doing these things and wearing these clothes and dancing around in the daylight? Hmmmm.


Right now I'm in the Mid Manhattan branch of the Public Library. There is a grown man at a table near mine, he's fast asleep and snoring. He's probably 50ft from me and I can hear him as loud as if my head were on a pillow next to his head. I've been here for a good half hour and it has taken this long for the library attendant to pound on the table causing him to wake up. In the meantime, 3 cell phones have gone off on maximum high volume, interrupting the “peace” and the lady at the end of my table clears her throat with a goat-like grunt about every 25 seconds. This is library conduct for grown adults. I didn't even mention the guy who was in here last week, who kept burping. You would have thought we were in 4th grade, because after the 3rd time I responded with “Ewww, sick!” It didn't stop him.


Now that the weather is getting warmer, the attire being worn around the city is getting more interesting. (I'm sure I'll have fun with this in posts to come, stay tuned!) Check out the pic at the top. Wow! What you see pictured here is (the back of) a girl in what I'm only guessing is her nightgown and undies(?) with furry purple leg-warmers? Is this an outfit? Do the tattoos up the back of her legs actually make this more of a complete ensemble? Maybe that is what she was telling herself when she was getting dressed... or should I say when she was not getting dressed that morning.


Of course you'll often see people dancing freely down the street because New Yorkers wear Ipods in our ears at all times. Singing randomly is also acceptable. I admit I've been this person too, the singer, not the dancer. If you read the last post, you'll know I'm not the most coordinated, and I'm afraid the dancing would get me in trouble and I may run into someone or get hit by a cab... I saw a dancing guy out earlier today. He was wearing a dress suit and dress shoes, and had a massive hiking backpack strapped on with strings and straps flapping to and fro. He was dancing and punching the air, swinging himself all over the street corner. I watched him until the light changed, it was very entertaining, partly because he was pretty good looking, and partly because I was impressed since he was actually not listening to an Ipod...


I bring all these to your attention, because I just wonder if these people are getting stared at? I've mentioned in past posts about my leg injury, and I've now started wearing this really cute (sense sarcasm) knee brace that keeps my leg from bending, but helps me to walk at a normal, almost NYC pace... But, for reasons unknown to me, people (Um, including a man with a hook for a hand!) stare at me as if I'm walking on 3 legs, or I have 3 heads, or I'm traversing the city on a pogo stick, or a pixie stick, or I am wearing this brace around my knee and have no pants on my body.... Have I not just mentioned things that are actually worth staring at? I really don't think a knee brace on a limpy girl who is dressed in black, just like the rest of you people is anything worthy of your gawking. Please find some furry purple leg warmers already.

1 comment:

  1. Classic photo. That one's a keeper. Probably the NYPD would like to see it, too.
    Good post, as well. Looking forward to what's next.

    EFH

    ReplyDelete